Ever since becoming gluten intolerant a year ago, Financiers have been my go-to cake.
Made with ground almonds means they are dense and sweet, and I make mine with polenta for a little extra crunch! 12 months ago I posted a recipe for Blueberry & Lavender Financiers, and today I wanted to share a new flavour combination, Raspberry and Lime. The ingredients and method are largely the same, but to refresh you...
1 cup almond meal/ground almond
1 2/3 cups icing sugar
1/2 cup polenta
5-6 egg whites
6oz melted butter
2t lime zest
1. Combine all ingredients (except for the berries), and stir with a wooden spoon.
2. Prepare baking molds by spreading melted butter around the base and edges.
3. Pour batter into molds and drop a few berries into each one (little helpers love this step!!).
4. Bake on 450F/230C for 7 minutes until the edges start to brown a little, and then turn the oven down to 400F/205C and bake for another 7 minutes.
5. When they are golden brown on top, let them cool in their tins for another 7 minutes. This allows them to finish setting in their pan without over-cooking.
I like the tartness the lime and raspberry brings to these otherwise sweet cakes, and enjoy serving with marscapone to balance the acidity (but Husband swears by the lime marscapone he had with his).