Ever since becoming gluten intolerant a year ago, Financiers have been my go-to cake.
Made with almond meal they are dense and sweet, and I make mine with polenta for a little extra crunch!
12 months ago I posted a recipe for Blueberry & Lavender Financiers, and today I wanted to share a new flavour combination, Raspberry and Lime.
My friend Meeche is a coeliac and Saraidy makes her the Blueberry Financiers every time she wants to sneak some sweet baby cuddles, and so I thought I'd share a new flavour for you girls to enjoy!!
The ingredients and method are largely the same, but to refresh you...
1 cup almond meal/ground almond
1 2/3 cups icing sugar
1/2 cup polenta
5-6 egg whites
6oz melted butter
2t lime zest
1. Combine all ingredients (except for the berries), and stir with a wooden spoon.
2. Prepare baking molds by spreading melted butter around the base and edges.
3. Pour batter into molds and drop a few berries into each one (little helpers love this step!!).
4. Bake on 450F/230C for 7 minutes until the edges start to brown a little, and then turn the oven down to 400F/205C and bake for another 7 minutes.
5. When they are golden brown on top, let them cool in their tins for another 7 minutes.
I like the tartness the lime and raspberry brings to these otherwise sweet cakes, and like serving it with marscapone to balance the acidity (but Husband swears by the lime marscapone he had with his).